Friday, September 20, 2013

Ytterbium?


One of my pastimes is to solve The Age's word puzzle with my wife everyday – a correct word from nine alphabets arranged in a 3-by-3 format. Yesterday’s  
 
R
M
T
Y
B
U
T
I
E

Both of us couldn't figure the word out. We woke up this morning to find the correct answer was YTTERBIUM.

Never heard of such a word! I went on-line to do a search. 

I took a liking of it instantly!

Ytterbium is an element in the rare earth family. Its atomic number is 70. What I love about this new knowledge is this: It is designated Yb. I am also an YB! Friends tend to introduce me as YB to people whom we meet for the first time. Many thought I was a datuk or the likes, since YB has always been an acronym for "Yang Berhormat" in Malaysia! I must confess I do enjoy being called YB! 

Me a Yang Berhormat? What a fake!!!

A little footnote: A non-politician datuk or Tan Sri is usually not addressed as Yang Berhormat; I believe the right honorific is Yang Berbahagia. Only members of parliament or state legislative assemblies are addressed as Yang Berhormat, regardless whether they are datuk/Tan Sri or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment