Sunday, November 20, 2022

Only If...

There are two subjects that I do not usually want to write about: Religion and Malaysian politics. This does not mean I do not have any opinions about them, especially on issues that are unfolding in respect of the latter.

First, about religions. I was brought up in a Ru-Fuo-Dao [] background. None in any pure form. This is basically Chinese men-in-the-street’s ethos. The three schools are not mutually exclusive; there are always “you-in-me, and me-in-you” beliefs and practices.

However, my late father was a firm believer in the superstitious form of Dao, especially in deities and metaphysics like fengshui, fate, physiognomy, divination etc. After overcoming my childhood fears of “retributions if don’t follow or behave like this and like that,” I became a rebel in my father's eyes. And our relationship had never been easy because of this. I was a little ambivalent about Fuo but had no serious aversion to it. As for Ru, it has been the basis of my Chineseness since my formative years. Its philosophy is still the beacon to the way I am conducting myself today. 

My wife Hwa and I started young – when I was in my Lower Six and she, Form Five. She went to Gospel Hall every Saturday. I followed her. But somehow, Christianity never appealed to me; instead, I veered further to Fuo and Dao in their philosophical forms, besides my steadfast subscription of Ru.

Whilst believers of Fuo are generally less championing when it comes to exerting or converting, Christians are more evangelical. Hwa’s sisters would always “pray” for us, even though they know we are non-believers. I always feel a little awkward when friends say GBU to me. But I will always observe this: They mean well, and regardless of my non-belief, I must not allow them to feel slighted. Similarly, I would also feel a little awkward when Muslim friends say “Thank God” to me. I do not feel good to tell everyone that I have yet to convince myself that there is a Supreme Being that manifests himself (or herself) in all things in this universe.

Because of this, I have consciously avoided writing about religions for fear of upsetting the sensitivities of friends.

The same goes to my decision on Malaysian politics. I have many Malay and Indian friends. All of us are proud of our culture. Writing about the politics in Malaysia will invariably involve my giving some takes about their mindsets and cultures. Few view these opinions kindly. But the results of the 15th General Elections which have just been concluded rouse my itchiness to write something!

The country is heading towards a more polarized time. Although Pakatan Harapan (HP) has won the biggest number of seats (82), it is unlikely able to garner enough support to achieve a simple majority of 112, given the sentiment of the kingmaker Gabungan Parti Sarawak (PBS), which carries 22 seats. Chances are that Perikatan Nasional (PN), which has captured 73 seats, will succeed in forming a government. Muhyiddin Yassin, who was one year my senior at Muar High School, will again be the Prime Minister. However, his own party (Bersatu) has only 24 seats, and its partner PAS, an Islamic party, holds 49 seats. Invariably, most of the key ministries will be helmed by PAS. I shudder to imagine what is going to lie ahead for the country in policies relating to Economy and Education.

If only we can turn the clock back…

When I look at this man in the image above, he immediately reminds me of two figures that I detest: Biden and Pelosi.

I used to hold Dr Mahathir Mohamad in high esteem. I thought he was one of the most visionary men one could see in Southeast Asia. I thought greatly of his Look East advocations. When he once again donned his armour and succeeded in helping to bring down the corrupts in GE14 in 2018, I happened to serve in a foundation in Singapore at that time. I was so elated that I treated my colleagues to a meal – to celebrate that Malaysia was at least ushering itself into a more open society. Race and religion in this culturally diverse country would henceforth be managed in a more balanced manner.

Most Chinese were happy that the Democratic Action Party’s (DAP) leader Lim Guan Eng was appointed Finance Minister in the new Cabinet, although the position was somewhat diminished by the creation of a minister responsible for Economics (Keadilan’s Azmin Ali). Lim was hardworking, but he did not have the type of wisdom to make his role acceptable to the Malay community. He was too anxious to save pennies, and this upset the Malays, many of whom had yet to be weaned off the country’s affirmative policy and practices. Lim was also vengeful towards the Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA) and of all things, he sought to cut out one of the few things MCA had done well for the Chinese community – Tunku Abdul Rahman University College (TARUC). Of course, the latter action only created some unhappiness amongst the Chinese community, most of us were prepared to live with such occasional lapses. And although MCA’s image has improved somewhat over the last couple of years, Chinese have by and large happy to give DAP another chance. Hence its score during GE15.

But the former action was No-No to the Malay community. Mahathir’s decision to organise a Malay Dignity Congress in October 2019 sent an unmistakable message to the non-Malays: Time for the Malays to take back power! The Sheraton Move followed. Mahathir can go on denying, but few would disagree that he was the Machiavelli-extraordinaire in this whole scheme of things.

I do not believe in prayers, but maybe I should now change my mind.

Let’s pray!


No comments:

Post a Comment