Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing…

If I may describe what is the major weakness of some of the ‘monopolies’ in Malaysia, this is it! The following is my latest experience; I am sure it is not going to be the last either. People simply don’t take responsibility seriously!

Even though I call Melbourne ‘home’, I maintain a small apartment in Saujana Resort near Kuala Lumpur for me to go back to between meetings in Singapore. Thanks to the generosity of the Selangor State Government, I don’t have to pay for the water, since I consume less than the subsidised amount. Electricity is also not much, so is the gas bills, which I have to pay only minimum charge.

So when I received my February bill, I nearly fell out of my chair. It was more than RM3K! How can it be, when it has always been RM11? Just image, 300 times the normal. And I was only in town for a few days. There was also no gas leakage, lest I would have died from this volume of emission or diffusion! Something was definitely wrong; I sent GAS Malaysia a letter, together with all the bills for the previous months. The building manager Simon was also kind enough to give the supplier a call. A letter duly arrived; it was all apologies from GAS Malaysia. Oh sorry, we have made a mistake in the reading. It should have been 27 m3; not 270m3. Surprisingly, the English was also good. So my wife and I thought the anxiety was at last behind us.

Not yet!
 
Some neighbours wrote to ask if I had resolved the issue with GAS Malaysia. No sooner had I wrote to confirm yes than a surprise was waiting for me in my mailbox the following month. This time I was billed RM800 plus! I literally lost my cool. Simon was kind enough to follow up for me. A reply came through the same day. Our apologies; our system automatically made an estimate based on your last month’s bill. We will do a manual adjustment.

What? Nothing was done after your last mistake and apology!!! Come on, GAS Malaysia! Does your right hand not know what your left hand is doing???

No comments:

Post a Comment