Friday, June 12, 2020

Daylight Robbery

I had been using Pos Laju for my courier needs until I found that they were not competitive in their charges. Private service providers seem to be able to offer better rates.

During the early days of Malaysia’s Movement Control Order restrictions, I chanced upon this FMX service at Citta Mall, which is quite near my apartment. I wanted to send a couple of books to a friend in Melaka. To my pleasant surprise, I was told it would cost me only some MYR8. I gave the counter MYR10 and was more than happy to say, “keep the change”, since I wanted to minimize hand contacts.

I had a light document to send to Singapore this afternoon and thought FMX should be a good choice. To my horror, the counter quoted MYR70 plus.

What, have you made a mistake?

The woman who was manning the counter showed me a schedule. True enough, it was to be MYR70 plus – the minimum cost.

How could I pay for such an exorbitant charge? I proceeded to another provider at the nearby Evolve.

MYR14.50. City-Link ok? The counter girl asked.

I just cannot understand; hadn’t these companies do a little bit of homework before they launched their business? MYR14.50 versus MRY70 plus? Five times?

I suppose many think they can take customers for a ride. Daylight robbery for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment