Friday, June 19, 2020

Some Loose Thoughts on China

Despite all our self-exultation that we of Chinese heritage are always thinking of long-term when we plan and act, I see the realities are that many of us are also very emotional in decision-making to the detriment of our long-term interests.

Being an ethnic Chinese, I could help feeling proud if I saw achievements coming from Chinese, regardless of their geographic origin – Mainland, Taiwan, or overseas. It is just natural that my blood begins to boil each time I see China being acted upon unfairly by any country. As we all know, the Five Eyes are going all out to demonize China. But a few other countries are also happy to see China fall – significantly India, Japan, and Vietnam. The people there have forgotten what the West have inflicted upon them historically. I suppose that is their choice.

But China should act more mindfully – a combination of Sun-tze and Kung-tze. In Sun-tze, it is tactical - keep things close to your chest, spring surprises, ruffle one end but attach the other, etc. In Kung-tze, stay true to your philosophy and principles, which should include  humanity virtues like magnanimity and what-have-you.

Know your enemies well is No 1 in strategic lessons.

I must confide in my lack of confidence in Chinese products even at this moment. The Chinese are entirely capable of coming up with world-class products, but they seem to be very weak in conveying their products’ features and benefits. I recently bought a Xiaomi CCTV system. They are selling to the world. No doubt there is English instruction, but the woman’s way of speaking Chinese can really irritate your ears. And the instruction was so Mickey-mousy that you feel like giving the gadget a hard knock.

CGTN is China’s channel to the world. But somehow it appears not that sharp if you compare it to CNN or BBC or CAN. I thought China’s ICT technology is second to none in the world. I also seem to have difficulty in opening its pages in CGTN’s mobile app. Many a time, it read “Load Fail”. Is it my Internet or my Apple phone? But I do not seem to have problems of this nature with CNN, BBC, and CNA. I had used China-made Android phones before and had never been satisfied with their features. So much has been said of Huawei’s preeminence. I shall try the next time I need to change my phone. Hopefully, it lives up to its reputation. Moreover, I am a great fan of Ren Zhengfei.

My message to China is simply that they must pay more attention to details and world feedback!

I was surprised that Mike Pompeo had requested to meet with the Chinese leadership. However, I was disappointed that China had dispatched Councilor Yang Jiechi to Hawaii for the meeting. Councilor Yang is certainly a distinguished diplomat. But he is too much of a nice uncle or mild school assistant headmaster for a wolf like Pompeo. The West only respects might or machoism. I always think you need someone like Wang Yi or one of the rougher type leaders to handle Pompeo. Afterall, nothing much will ultimately materialize even if Pompeo or Trump were to concede anything in the meeting. Trump is forever changing his mind.

My message to China: Do not believe in what Trump or Pompeo undertakes! Just play Tai-chi with them!


No comments:

Post a Comment